Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mosquitoes, poison ivy and hurricanes- oh my!

Hey everyone! I know it's been a while since I've blogged... sorry. I've been a bit of a busy bee! I started my photography class a few weeks ago. Goodness, I'm so happy I decided to take this class. I'm learning so so much and having a TON of fun! My teacher is very inspiring.. he started his career in 58' being assigned as a photographer in the Air Force. He was nearly blind and they didn't know where to stick him. Kinda ironic. Blind man - air force. Blind man - photography. teehee. :) He fell in love with photo journalism and has quite the creative eye. His work is stunning! I'm really enjoying my time with him. I don't think I'll ever look at pictures the same way and that alone is pretty neat!

We took the Isles of Shoals cruise out of Portsmouth where I took some pics for my 1st assignment: Understanding Shutter speed and Aperture- taking properly exposed photos.



How do they look? 



Class 2 Controlling motion







Dizzy yet? :)


Class 3- depth of field



Rufus doesn't mind modeling unlike some people... LOL


Class 4- Composition...
Well, still working on this assignment :-)

 So the class has been great! But thought I'd share a couple of my not so fav things about New England this summer... I have called my mom a bit frantic more than once. I tell ya- it's def a different world over here! As much as I'm enjoying the changes there are a few things that get my heart rate goin'... :-O
Poison Ivy- you mean this stuff isn't just in movies? :-P

  
Late summer we start noticing these large webs with what looks like cocoons of some kind hanging from the trees ... I tell ya I don't know what these things are and I'm not so sure I wanna know! Ew! :-{

Mosquitoes! Bleh!!!!!!!!!!

Icky McIckerson!

So I have a mean allergic reaction to mosquito bites making this summer quite the uncomfortable one. :-( These suckers have been horrible due to our very wet spring and summer to follow. I now know I MUST cover up and soak myself in deet before going outside this time of year. Good, good times...

 Getting pics like this from my family. OH BOY, talk about feeling a million miles away...

My brother in law was in a motorcycle accident a couple weeks ago. He was driving home from Sturgis WY when something happened to the front wheel and he went flying off his bike and dove onto the freeway at 75mph. He scraped up his arms/legs bad, has a broken nose and 2 black eyes. He's lucky to be alive! We're all so happy he's ok and healing well.

And a  few of my fav summertime things...
 
Watching the peaceful geese on the lake
Lobster Rolls at sunset

Living near the water...

Fresh made treats from Beach Pea in Maine
  
 :-)
 
Ice cream! It's dangerously delicious...

Aw yes, and birthday letters from home! :)

As I type the winds are a-blowing and the rain's a-coming down! We've experienced Tropical Storm Irene!  It was a bit nerve wrecking hearing a hurricane was heading our way. But luckily it weakened as it approached NH and what we got was mostly high winds. It's actually been a nice breeze all day... cool and calming. So I guess what we got was more of the calm after the storm? It's been devastating to hear about the tragedies and the thousands of people without power this evening... we feel very fortunate to have lights and a working stove tonight.

Blue skies! A perfect day. It was hard to believe a hurricane was just around the corner.


 
A small clip of what we woke up to today...

Outside checkin' out the damage... 






Well there it is. Our summer in a nutshell. I have to say I'm really looking forward to Fall. It's my FAV time of year... the foliage, the smell, the crisp air, pumpkinfest, haunted New England tour and Halloween! Yay!!! I talked my coworker into having a party this year so we'll be dressing up and I'll be helping her with all the festivities! YES! I love love LOVE to party plan!!!!!!!!!! And mostly our trip to CA to see all of you! We are EXCITED!

~Take care. Love you!~
xo

No comments:

Til next time...

Til next time...